The Bunnahabhain Distillery was founded in 1881 by William Robertson. Robertson was a whisky broker from Glasgow who had previously worked at the Lagavulin and Laphroaig distilleries. Bunnahabhain was originally designed to produce a light, unpeated whisky, in contrast to the heavily peated whisky of Islay's other distilleries.
The Bunnahabhain Distillery is located in the northeastern part of Islay, near the village of Bunnahabhain. The distillery sits on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Sound of Islay, with views of the Paps of Jura and the Mull of Oa.
In recent years, the Bunnahabhain Distillery has undergone a significant expansion, with the addition of new warehouses and a visitor centre. The distillery is open to visitors year-round and offers tours, tastings, and a shop.